Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And I Do Regret More Than I Admit

The title of this blog is a lyric from the song "Everything We Had" by The Academy Is... These words issuing forth from the speaker of my iPod dock gave me pause because of the personal truth I find in them. I have often said that I do not believe in regrets because everything that happens can be used to make a person stronger and smarter. Then, in the infrequent quiet moments of the past few weeks, I've experienced a progressive epiphany.

My reluctance to admit regrets has not been based on the noble idea that looking back with remorse only causes a person to become mired in circumstances now beyond their ability to change. My denial of regrets is a manifestation of my reluctance to admit to failure and poor choices. Acknowledging regrets is acceding to imperfection. I loathe the taste of personal imperfection.

The truth learned in the midst of my pondering is: I deny the existence of regrets in order to protect my ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment